Rules of Riga International Arbitration Court
APPROVED by Association “Riga International Arbitration Court” in General Meeting on 1 February 2017, protocol No 27
§1. General provisions.
The Riga International Arbitration Court (hereinafter referred to as the “Arbitration Court”) is a permanent court of arbitration established by an association “The Riga International Arbitration Court” and which acts on the basis of Arbitration Law of the Republic of Latvia, its Charter, these rules and agreement of the parties.
Name of the Arbitration Court in Latvian – Rīgas Starptautiskā šķīrejtiesa,
Name of the Arbitration Court in German – Rigaer Internationales Schiedsgeright,
Name of the Arbitration Court in Russian – Рижский Mеждународный третейский суд.
The activity of the Arbitration Court shall be managed by the Presidium of the Arbitration Court, which performs the functions determined in the arbitration rules in order to organize the arbitral proceedings, to supervise and secure formation and activity of the Arbitral Tribunal. The Presidium of the Arbitration Court shall not itself resolve any disputes and has no right to interfere in settling of civil disputes.
The Arbitration Court settles civil disputes provided that the parties have concluded an agreement to settle disputes at the Arbitration Court (the “Arbitration Agreement”), except for a dispute:
- whose adjudication may concern the rights protected by the law of such a person who is not a party to the Arbitration Agreement;
- in which one of the parties is a state or municipal institution or in which award of the Arbitration Court may concern rights of the state or municipal institution;
- which is related to records in the register of civilian acts;
- regarding the rights and obligations or statutory protected interests of individuals under guardianship or trusteeship;
- concerning establishment, modification or termination of proprietary rights regarding real estate, if a participant of a dispute according to the law has limited eligibility to acquire real estate in ownership, possession or use;
- regarding ejection of an individual out of the dwelling premises;
- by and between employee and employer if the dispute occurred due to conclusion, modification or termination of the employment agreement as well as due to application or interpretation of the provisions of the law, collective agreement, or working procedure regulations (individual employment dispute);
- regarding rights and obligations of the persons for which an insolvency case has been initiated.
When settling the dispute, the Arbitration Court shall act in accordance with laws and business practice, which may be applied pursuant to the parties' agreement, insofar as such agreement of the parties does not contradict with provisions of Articles 19, 24 and 25 of the Civil Law of Latvia and Regulation (EC) No 593/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council. If the parties have not agreed on the basis of which laws or business practices their mutual relationship should be settled, or the Arbitration Court has considered it void, the law applicable to the legal relationship between the parties shall be determined according to the Preamble of the Civil Law of Latvia and Regulation (EC) No 593/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council.